WORK WITH POINTLESS
Pointless Theatre has been producing original puppet theatre spectacles for Washington, DC audiences since 2010. Recipient of the Helen Hayes Awards’ John Aniello Award for Outstanding Emerging Theatre Company, Pointless Theatre has grown from an ensemble of “unabashed weirdos” into a 501c3 organization with three productions per year, an annual operating budget of over $150,000, an eight-member board of governors, and a twelve-person volunteer staff. Pointless is looking to add a full-time staff position to work with the volunteer staff and board of governors to strategically grow the organization.
Our Mission: Pointless Theatre is dedicated to creating bold, visceral, and affordable spectacles that gleefully smash the traditional boundaries between puppetry, theatre, dance, music, and the visual arts. Through our work we excite a passion for adventurous art in the nation's capital and nurture a diverse, active, and inspired audience.
Pointless Theatre is rapidly growing and is looking for a mission-focused, experienced, strategic, and results-minded leader with experience at a nonprofit performing arts organization and leading a volunteer team. Pointless Theatre seeks a Deputy Director who embraces the mission of the organization and helps others deliver measurable results that make the mission a reality. While it is essential that the Deputy Director bring efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization, it is also critical that the team retain the creative spark that drives Pointless Theatre and has made it successful as an ensemble of artists.
The successful candidate will have management experience with a performing arts organization. Pointless Theatre is looking for someone with:
- Strong background in fundraising: Experience fundraising for a nonprofit performing arts organization, planning, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding prospects, and working with board committees
- Proven track-record of exceeding goals and achieving results: Ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis that matches the culture of the organization; wisdom, experience, and judgment; understanding of goals and mission of the organization and the type of systems and operations appropriate to support those goals and mission.
- Action-Oriented Approach to Management: Enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available, not afraid to take charge of a situation; can work effectively with an ambitious, but less experienced staff, and take unpopular stands when necessary.
- Solutions-oriented: Strong ability to proactively develop effective solutions to challenges and collaboratively work with volunteer staff and board to ensure those solutions are implemented.
- Strategic Vision and Agility: Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends and work with the Managing Director to incorporate them into the organizational plan.
- Exceptional capacity for managing and leading people: Ability to connect with staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to ensure accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to develop necessary skills.
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY: English
PROFESSIONAL LEVEL: Managerial
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED: 4-year degree
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Deputy Director will lead all internal operations and will have the following responsibilities:
- Work in partnership with the Managing Director and Co-Artistic Directors to accomplish Pointless Theatre’s strategic goals.
- Serve as the internal leader of the organization to implement the priorities of the Managing Director:
- Provide strong day-to-day leadership; propose the agenda for all staff, senior staff and leadership calls and meetings.
- Manage and support Pointless Theatre’s volunteer staff.
- Ensuring that Pointless Theatre continues to build its reputation, its tangible resources, and its relationship with its community, and therefore will need to work with the board of governors and volunteer staff to plan and implement marketing strategies in order to successfully achieve ticket sales goals for all three Pointless Theatre productions
- Support the Director of Development and be responsible for achieving Pointless Theatre’s contributed fundraising goals through implementation of systems for reporting, measurement and supporting revenue generation. This includes increasing organizational focus on major gifts fundraising, managing a portfolio of major donors, and oversight of the annual fund program
- Supervise and provide administrative and logistical support to the volunteer and contracted production staff in their responsibilities.
BENEFITS: Health stipend. Paid vacation. Flexible office hours. Work from home.
JOB TYPE: Full Time
SALARY: Minimum: $30,000; Maximum: $38,000 (Hours and Salary Negotiable)
START DATE: 07/16/2018
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter, resume/CV, references, and writing sample to email@example.com
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 06/15/2018
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT: Pointless Theatre strongly values equity and challenges historical inequity with a persistent focus on dismantling systemic racism. We work towards a more just society and as such we are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, or physical handicap.